Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Il Forno Pizzeria - Frederick, MD

June 2, 2008


I'm angry at myself. Years ago I ate at Il Forno and really enjoyed the pizza and then it, well, kind of fell off my radar. My mistake.

My wife, kids, and I met some friends at Il Forno for a rare weekday meal out last night. We split a margherita pizza (tomato sauce, whole milk mozzarella, and fresh basil) and an alla salsiccia (tomato sauce, whole milk mozzarella, homemade ground Italian sausage, and fresh garlic). The toppings are simple, fresh, high-quality ingredients that elevate Il Forno over most pizza joints (though they could've been distributed a bit more evenly - a pizza pet peeve of mine). But the excellent crisp, wood-fired crust stood out the most to me.

Ledo Pizza still has it's place for it's flakier, somewhat pastry-like crust, and dense provolone topping (though their sauce is unnecessarily sweet). And an occasional Uno Chicago deep-dish is good for that couple-thousand calorie guilty pleasure. But next time my family wants pizza, I'll first suggest Il Forno. And curse myself under my breath for forgetting about it.

3 comments:

Liz said...

You should try Mangia e Bevi in Urbana for pizza. Excellent crispy, well done crust and plenty of toppings. It's my favorite in Frederick County.

Anonymous said...

Have you tired Bellisario's Pizza on East Street? I think it is the best in Frederick.

Gumbrinus said...

I second the Mangia e Bevi recommendation if you are closer to Urbana. In Frederick, my favorite is the Mario's Special pie at Topping's Pizza on New Design Rd. Great garlicky sauce and real mozzarella. And their NY/NJ style pies are quite authentic when served hot and crispy right out of the oven (never accept a reheated slice).