Monday, August 18, 2008

My Thai - Frederick, MD

July 31, 2008


I'm glad that I ordered another appetizer because this review would be pretty negative without it.

I ordered one of the lunch specials, which includes a spring roll. The roll (I ordered mine with chicken) was crispy and flavorful. The texture inside was creamy due to potato, which made the roll memorable as well as very good.

I also ordered the larb gai appetizer, which is "minced chicken tossed in cilantro, mint, red onion, and lime juice" served on a bed of greens. I'm intrigued by the combination of cilantro and mint, which is also used in Indian cuisine. The herbs are both strong and distinctive, yet they pair well together. The larb gai was delicious. When I told my server, she agreed and said that she sometimes eats it for lunch.

My entree was disappointing. I ordered phad prik sod with duck, which is "stir-fried with chili, snow peas, onion, scallions, and red bell pepper." The main problem was the overuse of soy sauce. With Asian dishes, I often use the plain white rice to soak up the sauce. I didn't do that with the phad prik sod.

For fans (or opponents) of chili heat, My Thai lets the diner know on the menu between "mildly spicy," "medium spicy," and "very spicy." They also are happy to season any dish to diner's tastes.

I plan on returning to My Thai, based on the strength of the larb gai and the spring roll but I'll be wary of salt when ordering my next entree.

1 comment:

Dining Diva of Boca said...

One of the dishes I ordered there was also unbelievably salty. So salty that I couldn't eat it. When I requested a replacement, the server told me that I could get something else - but since I had tasted the dish I would have to pay for it!

Eventually, somebody else came along and took it off the bill.

I have food to be pretty hit or miss at My Thai. But... I love the name!